Chart of the day: Key statistics that show how the digital divide across the world has been shrinking
The last 15 years has been remarkable in terms of technological advance. Internet access and mobility has penetrated vast land masses which did not exist 15 years ago.While Fixed broadband in areas around middle east and north Africa has failed to grow above 1%, however these nations have made better progress when it comes to mobile broadband . As of 2015 African mobile broadband penetration levels is lower that 20%
- By end 2014, fixed-broadband penetration will have reached almost 10 per cent globally
- By 2015, 34% of developing nations have Internet access compared to 80% across developed nations
- Forty-four per cent of all fixed-broadband subscriptions are in Asia and the Pacific, and 25 per cent are in Europe.
- Across the LCD ( Least developed countries ) a mere 7% have internet access compared to world average of 46%
- one of of every 5 uses the internet compared to 2 out of 5 in Asia and pacific reasons and 3 out of 5 across CIS